A week of growing in Contentment

“Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.” 1 Timothy 6:6-8
It is funny how God works. He knew that I would be struggling with contentment and so here we are talking about contentment.
I think it is so easy to be discontent. In the society that we live in it is ingrained in us that you always need more. Just look at what the American Dream has become, work really hard to have better stuff than your neighbors.  It is in every commercial and advertisement. And not only is it related to the stuff you own but discontentment can become even more personal.
Recently I have been discontent in my own gifts. They just don’t seem to match what is needed to be in IGNITE. I kept asking God, “God, why did you bring me here, knowing that everything that they want me to do is something that I am not good at?” Sound familiar? It kind of sounds like the Israelites when they were in the wilderness. You know those Israelites that we have a habit of dissing a lot. Well I can honestly say that I have messed up more than they have. Because I had there example of the Isrealites and I know that God called me here and yet I doubted because I was discontent in what God has called me to do.
I should not worry the things of this world, my God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. And he is gracious and merciful and he will give us even more than we can imagine.
“Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, “And what shall we do?” So He said to them, “Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.”” Luke 3:14
A person who is not content will normally look to others and what they have for contentment. This can lead to a lot of different sins and some of them include taking what does not rightfully belong to them or ruining another person so that person does not have .
Before I was walking with the Lord I was very discontent. I wanted everything for myself and nothing was ever enough. I would become easily jealous. I wanted what other people had be it stuff, intelligence, friends or a good standing. I wanted it. And I did not mind using people to get it. I didn’t mind stealing from someone to get it and I certainly didn’t mind lieing about that person to lower their standings.
But thank God that he saves me and that He has made me into a new creation. He started working on my heart and showed me how to be content with what I had. I wont say that I am now perfectly content all the time. But I can say that I know that the Lord has done an amazing work in this area of my life.
This is kind of sheepish to admit but one thing comes to mind when I was writing this. It is a Veggie Tales song from Madame Blueberry. It goes, “A happy heart is a thankful heart! I am glad for what I have and that’s an easy place to start.” It is hard to be discontent when I look at the finish work at the cross and I couldn’t be more thankful.
“Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5
At first glance this verse looks like two completely different topics put together in one verse. But the more I looked at it the more I saw the correlation. This is going to sound like my other two Inductive Bible Studies put together but that is ok. I guess the Lord is really trying to make a point.
We need to be content without coventousness. We are not supposed to be looking at what other people have. It is like when Jesus said to Peter, “What is that to you? You follow me.” (look up that verse) He was looking at the other disciple John and he wanted what the Lord had promised him. But we are not to do that. His grace is sufficient for us and he desires to give good gifts to each one of us. So we have found what we are not supposed to do but what is the solution to our wicked heart that looks to others? How are we supposed to be content?
 We are supposed to keep our eyes completely on Him. He is the solution offered during the last part of this verse. We are to be content because He is with us and he will never leave us. It is hard to stop looking for stuff unless something that nothing else compares to. Think about it this way, (sorry this will probably mostly relate better to the women) but when you are shopping for a dress for a special event it is easy to look from dress to dress your mind being torn every 2 seconds between dresses. And this will happen until you find that one dress. And you know that you don’t have to shop anymore because this is the dress there is no doubt in your mind.
The same thing can be applied to this verse. It is so easy to be discontent and covet others when our focus is not on The One. Jesus is the one and nothing else compares to Him. Keep your eyes on him and the things of this world will grow strangely dim in the light of his wonder and grace.
“Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.” Philippians 4:11
When I was looking at this verse and it came to the part where it said, I have learned in whatever state I am to be content.” I cried out in frustration, “No! I have not learned that.” That is the honest truth, I would like to say that I have learned that lesson and am able to apply it into my life but that is simply not true.
Just today during kids club I started to think to myself that I couldn’t imagine leaving Guatemala and the people here. And then we have internet and while talking to my parents and seeing the couch that I have taken many a nap on all I wanted was to go back to Utah. And while I was in Utah all I wanted was go back to home state California. My heart is never satisfied. I personally have a serious case of the grass is always greener on the other side.
“Oh wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?” Romans 7:24 And the answer is Jesus. He is the only thing that doesn’t change. My location changes, my friends change, my job changes, everything changes but He is the same yesterday today and forever. He is the only thing that is worth basing my contentment on.
So basically to be content in anything I need to realize that whatever the circumstances, My God is there and because of that I can simply rest in that with joy. Like my IBS said yesterday my focus needs to be on the One.
“As for me, I will see your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in your likeness.” Psalms 17:15
I think that this is a great verse to end the week of contentment with. This whole week we have been talking about how we need to be more content and that contentment comes from knowing who my God is and what He has done for me. But almost everyone has come to the conclusion that we will never be content, yes it is something that we are constantly having to learn but we will never be satisfied here on earth.
I would like to take the next paragraph to break down the verse. “I will see your face in righteousness;” In the Old Testament, Moses asked to see God’s face and he was told that he could not or else he would die. So when would I be able to see His face without dying? And we all know that we will never be perfect, so when will I be the likeness of Christ?
The only time that I would be able to see my God’s face and awake in the likeness of Him would be in the glorification process in heaven. Yes I can learn to be content in any situation but I will only be completely satisfied when I am in heaven with my Lord and Savior.
Oh, how every fiber in my being longs to see Him face to face!  I long to run to Him and for Him to just hold me in His arms! This is one of the things that I just can’t wait to happen, to be in the arms of my Jesus! To sing, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty!” This is what I long for! I have given Jesus my heart, and so my heart is in heaven with Jesus. How can I be completely satisfied here on earth if a part of me is in heaven?
I am not saying that I shouldn’t try to be content here on earth but I am saying that for as long as I am here on earth I will be constantly looking forward to the day where my faith is made sight.

Comments

Popular Posts