First Day of School


“Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."
Luke 18:17
Today was my first day of Teaching in the Guatemalan School System. And I felt just like a little kid again. Would they like me? Would I make any friends? Would I be able to communicate with them? Would I be able to reflect Christ to them? All these thoughts were bouncing around in my head as I stood outside the door waiting to go in.
After I said a quick little prayer I finally had the courage to go inside. As soon as I put my first foot in the door I was mobbed by 30 first graders. All of them wanting to give me hugs and kisses. I just couldn’t believe it. I hadn’t done or said anything yet and here they were literally surrounding me with love.
I don’t know about you but I know that for myself that I am very skeptical. I do not automatically believe the best, and I am very slow to love. Something is always holding me back. Something that says that I will only be let down. Or that I will only let the ones I love down. Or that I will never be enough. What if I am never enough? When I write these sentences it is easy to see what is holding me back. Fear. Fear is the thing that is holding my back and fear is the thing that I did not see in those kids eyes. They weren’t scared to climb on my lap as I ate my crackers. They weren’t scared that I would hurt them or turn them away. They were 100% confident that I was good and that I would love them.
Am I like my first graders when it comes to God? Even though I have nothing to offer do I run to Him trusting that He is good? Or is fear making me stay in my seat?
“Thus says the LORD: "What wrong did your fathers find in me that they went far from me, and went after worthlessness, and became worthless?”” Jeremiah 2:5
When I let fear keep me from drawing close to God I have let myself become worthless. Fear makes me worthless. God is calling me every day to sit at His feet and trust Him completely. To love Him with everything I am. He has loved me with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3), and His love casts out all fear.

“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:18-19

Comments

Popular Posts