Saying Goodbye




So this last week I have had to say goodbye to about 24 people that I have lived with for the last 3 months. I am here walking by empty rooms and seeing empty chairs and it hurts. Soon I am going to be boarding a plane to Costa Rica and I am going to have to say goodbye all over again. And once again it is going to hurt.  There is one question that is in my mind, “Why would God call me to something that would hurt me this much? Is it really worth it to love people knowing that you will be separated?”

But as soon as this question pops up in my mind I am reminding of Jesus washing His disciple’s feet in John 13.

“Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end. And supper being ended, the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray Him,  Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself.  After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.” John 13:1-5

Jesus knowing that His disciples were going to leave him, knowing that Peter would deny Him three times, and knowing that Judas was going to betray Him got up and loved them. He showed them a love that was radical. The person that they had been calling Rabbi was now in the position of a servant washing the disgusting feet of His disciples. And I have trouble loving people that I know will leave? He was washing the feet of sinners that sin would put Him on the cross. And I want to pull away when I start getting close to people? He was sitting there the day before He was betrayed washing the feet of the one that would betray Him. Who do I think I am?

"If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.  Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.” John 13:14-17

This next week I have been called to love these kids with the same love that Jesus loved His disciples with. May I never forget my Humble Savior

Comments

Popular Posts