Though None Go With Me


“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
Romans 12:1-2

Earlier this year I was having one of my emotional breaking moments. And a wise woman rebuked me and reminded me of the song “I Have Decided to Follow Jesus”. One particular part popped out at me, “Though none go with me, still I will follow; No turning back, no turning back.” This is one of those lines that I say but don’t really mean. It is cliché to say but peer pressure is an actual big deal. I could spend my devotional time with Jesus and hear Him tell me to do one thing but as soon as I tell someone and they go against it I doubt what God said. What once was so clear becomes muddled with extreme doubt. For some reason in my mind, I need other people to validate what I am doing.  But when I look at the Bible I see very clearly that people stepping out in Faith are not guaranteed company. Look at Noah when he built the ark, Abraham when he left his home, Rahab when she hid the spies, Gideon when he destroyed the idols, David when he fought Goliath, and Jesus when He died on the cross. Yes some of these people had their families but for the most part they were sent to do what God wanted them to do alone.
The question is, “How does a person follow Christ like that?” I think the key to following though none go with you is found in Romans 12:1-2. We present our bodies as living sacrifices.  When we get in the mindset that we do not belong to ourselves like it says in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.” Then it becomes simple. You do not have the liberty to do what you want, and you are definitely not free to Listen to any other master. It is tempting to say that you have the right to do what is best for you. But let’s look at Jesus.
Jesus said in the garden in Matthew 26:39 ,”And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”” Jesus knew in the matter of minutes that He would be betrayed, His friends would leave Him, His people would lie about Him, He would be beaten, and crucified even though He was innocent. And He said, “Even though I know that pain will be unbearable God Let you will be done!! This is not about me Lord! This is about you God!” As Christians we are supposed to imitate Christ even in His suffering and loneliness.
I as a follower of Christ have to put one voice and one voice alone in charge of my life. Does that mean that I never seek wise council? No! It simply means that at the end of the day I am responsible to one master. And what He says I do because He alone owns my heart which He bought with His precious blood. So from now on I present my body as a living sacrifice even though none go with me because His will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

“Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
No turning back, no turning back.”

Comments

Popular Posts