Week 1 of Costa Rica

Jeremiah 38:20, “But Jeremiah said, ‘They shall not deliver you. Please, obey the voice of the Lord which I speak to you. So it shall be well with you, and your soul shall live.’”

I have been reading through the book of Jeremiah and when I came upon this verse I could not help but stop. This seems to summarize what the Lord has been showing me in this book. You see Jeremiah had just been put into a dungeon that was filled with mire. And the King took him out and asked him what the Lord had spoken. Jeremiah tells him and when he is wrapping up his word from the Lord this is what he said.
 I can hear the pleading in his voice. Please. He says the word please. He wants his people to be saved, he wants the best for them and he knows that this can only be found when you are listening and obeying the voice of the Lord. And as I am reading this I cannot help but think how hard hearted the people had to be not to respond to this heart wrenching plea. Over and over again throughout this book God pleads with his people to listen and they do not. And because they do not they lose their lives and end up hurting the ones they love.
But before I throw the first stone I look at myself and I ask God to search my heart and I am ashamed. How many times has my God been calling out to me saying, “Haley, come and spend time with me! Let me show you my love. I know what your day is going to be like and not only do I know this day of your life but I know every detail of your life. You are going to need the words that I want to speak to you. Come, please!” And I do not listen. How many times have a hardened my heart to God’s pleas in my own life? I cannot count the times I have done this. How many times because I have not listen I have hurt those around me and have hurt myself.

But as a Christian having been redeemed by God I do not have to walk according to the flesh. I can chose to walk in the Spirit and in newness of life. I do not want to follow the example of the people of Israel in this book. I want to hear and obey. 

Comments

Popular Posts